Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Norethindrone Acetate
Monophasic: Loestrin 1/20 Fe, Loestrin 1.5/30
What Makes it Different
- Estrostep Fe is one of only three birth control pills FDA approved to treat acne.
- Estrostep Fe is helpful for women who experience estrogen-related side effects such as migraines, nausea or fluid retention. It reduces these side effects by delivering increasing levels of estrogen with a constant dose of progestin, thereby mimicking a woman’s natural menstrual cycle.
How it Works
Estrostep Fe (ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone acetate) utilizes a combination of the female hormones estrogen and progestin, to prevent pregnancy in three ways. First, Estrostep Fe prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from one of the ovaries). The hormones also thicken the cervical mucus, which blocks sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Finally, Estrostep Fe prevents the uterine lining from thickening, which makes it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are to be utilized only as a form of birth control. They do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
Take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Use Estrostep Fe just as your healthcare provider has instructed and not more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
Missing a dose of Estrostep Fe increases the risk of pregnancy. There are ways to make up for missing a pill that will maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. If you have missed one or more pills, contact your healthcare provider for more information.
Estrostep Fe has been shown to prevent pregnancy in over 99% of situations when it is the only birth control method utilized and when Estrostep Fe is used exactly as directed.
Most birth control pills cost between $15 and $50 per month.
Estrostep Fe is an effective method of birth control when used as specified. All birth control pills, Estrostep Fe included, have also been shown to have the following possible benefits:
- Menstrual cycle regularity and a lightened blood flow (reduces the chances of anemia)
- Milder and less frequent cramps or other pain during menstruation
- Less frequent occurrence of noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast
- Less likelihood of ectopic pregnancies
- Less likelihood of acute pelvic inflammatory disease
All birth control pills, including Estrostep Fe, can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack. Women who smoke and/or are older than 35 are especially susceptible to these risks.
Possible side effects include
- Stomach cramps, mild nausea, vomiting, bloating
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Problems with contact lenses
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
Article of Interest
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Posted In: UncategorizedView Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »