Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Lessina, Levlen, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Aviane, containing the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Before using Aviane as Emergency Contraception, speak to a healthcare professional.
- To use Aviane as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take five orange pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another five orange pills.
How it Works
Aviane (ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel) is a combination of the female hormones estrogen and progestin, which work to prevent pregnancy in three ways. First, the hormones prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from one of the ovaries). Aviane also causes the cervical mucus to thicken, blocking sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Lastly, the hormones prevent the uterine lining from thickening, making it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are only to be utilized as a form of birth control and do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
You will take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Use Aviane as your healthcare provider has instructed. Do not take more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
If you miss a dose of Aviane, your risk of pregnancy will be increased. There are ways to make up for missing a pill that will maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. For further instruction, contact with your healthcare provider immediately upon realizing you’ve missed one or more pills.
Aviane has been shown to prevent pregnancy in over 99% of situations when it is the only birth control method utilized and when Aviane is used exactly as directed.
Most birth control pills cost $15-50 per pack. A pack lasts one month.
Aviane is an effective method of birth control when used as specified. All birth control pills, Aviane included, have also been shown to possibly have the following benefits:
- Menstrual cycle may become more regular, and blood flow may become lighter (reducing the chances of anemia).
- Cramps or other pain during menstruation may become less intense and/or frequent.
- Noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast may occur less frequently.
- Ectopic pregnancies may occur with less frequency.
- Acute pelvic inflammatory disease may occur less frequently.
All birth control pills, including Aviane, can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack, especially for women who smoke and/or are older than 35. Women who are taking oral contraceptives should not smoke.
Possible side effects include
- Mild nausea, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive.
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Problems with contact lenses
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Tuesday 8/09/2016View Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »