Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Aviane, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Aviane, Lessina, Levlen, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Levora, containing the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Before using Levora as Emergency Contraception, speak to a healthcare professional.
- To use Levora as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take four white pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another four white pills.
How it Works
Levora (ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone) is composed of a combination of the female hormones estrogen and progestin, which work to prevent pregnancy in three ways. First, the hormones prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). Second, they cause the cervical mucus to thicken, blocking sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Lastly, the hormones cause the uterine lining to thin, making it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are to only be utilized as a form of birth control. They do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
Speak with your healthcare provider before beginning any prescribed birth control method. Use your birth control only as your healthcare provider instructs. You will take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Do not take more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
If you miss a dose of Levora, you will heighten your risk of pregnancy. However, there are ways to make up for missing a pill that maintains the effectiveness of the birth control. For further instruction, contact with your healthcare provider immediately upon realizing you’ve missed one or more pills.
Most birth control pills cost $15-50 per pack. A pack lasts one month.
In situations when Levora is the only birth control method utilized and when it is used exactly as directed, Levora has been shown to prevent over 99% of pregnancies.
Levora is an effective method of birth control when used as specified. All birth control pills, Levora included, have been shown to have the following possible benefits:
- Menstrual cycle regularity may be improved, and blood flow may be lighter (reducing the chances of anemia).
- Cramps or other pain during menstruation may lessen in frequency.
- There may be less likelihood of noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast.
- Ectopic pregnancies may be less likely.
- Acute pelvic inflammatory disease may be less likely.
All birth control pills, including Levora, can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack. This is especially true for women who smoke and/or are older than 35. Women who are taking oral contraceptives should not smoke.
Possible side effects include
- Mild Nausea, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Problems with contact lenses
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Posted In: UncategorizedView Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »