Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Aviane, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Lutera, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Aviane, Lessina, Levlen, Levora, Lutera, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Lybrel, containing the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Before using Lybrel as Emergency Contraception, speak to a healthcare professional.
- To use Lybrel as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all recommended pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take five white pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another five white pills.
How it Works
Lybrel (ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone) utilizes the female hormones estrogen and progestin to prevent pregnancy in three ways. The hormones prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary); they also cause the cervical mucus to thicken, which blocks sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Additionally, the hormones cause the uterine lining to thin, making it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are to only be utilized as a form of birth control. They do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
You will take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Take your birth control only as your healthcare provider instructs. Do not take more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates. Effective prevention of pregnancy depends on you taking the birth control exactly as it is intended.
Missing a dose of Lybrel increases your risk of pregnancy. There are ways to make up for missing a pill that maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. Contact with your healthcare provider for instruction immediately upon realizing you have missed one or more pills.
Most birth control pills cost $15-50 per pack, which lasts one month.
When Lybrel is the only birth control method utilized and it is used exactly as directed, Lybrel has been shown to have more than a 99% success rate at preventing pregnancy.
When used correctly, Lybrel is an effective method of birth control. All birth control pills, including Lybrel, have been shown to possibly have the following benefits:
- Menstrual cycle regularity improvement
- Lighter blood flow (reducing the chances of anemia).
- Less frequent cramps or other pain during menstruation
- Less likelihood of noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast
- Less likelihood of ectopic pregnancies
- Less likelihood of acute pelvic inflammatory disease
All birth control pills, including Lybrel, may increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack. This is especially true for women who smoke and/or women who are older than 35 years of age. Women who smoke should not take birth control pills.
Possible side effects include
- Mild nausea, bloating, stomach cramps
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Vomiting, changes in weight or changes in appetite
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Problems with contact lenses
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Posted In: UncategorizedView Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »