Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Aviane, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Portia, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Aviane, Lessina, Levlen, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Portia, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Nordette, containing the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Before using Nordette as Emergency Contraception, speak to a healthcare professional.
- To use Nordette as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take four light orange pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another four light orange pills.
How it Works
Nordette (ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel) utilizes two female hormones, estrogen and progestin, to prevent pregnancy in three ways. First, Nordette prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from one of the ovaries). Second, the hormones thicken the cervical mucus, which blocks sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Third, Nordette prevents the uterine lining from thickening, which makes it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are to be utilized only as a form of birth control and do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
Take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Only use Nordette as your healthcare provider has instructed. Do not take more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
Missing a dose of Nordette will increase your risk of pregnancy. There are ways to make up for missing a pill that will maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. Contact your healthcare provider for more information if you have missed one or more pills.
Nordette has been shown to prevent pregnancy in over 99% of situations when it is the only birth control method utilized and when Nordette is used exactly as directed.
Most birth control pills cost between $15 and $50 per pack. Each pack lasts one month.
Nordette is an effective method of birth control when used as specified. All birth control pills, Nordette included, have also been shown to have the following possible benefits:
- Menstrual cycle becomes more regular
- Blood flow is lightened (reducing the chances of anemia)
- Cramps or other pain during menstruation are lessened or less frequent
- Noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast occur with less frequency
- Less likelihood of ectopic pregnancies
- Less likelihood of acute pelvic inflammatory disease
All birth control pills, including Nordette, can increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack. Women who smoke and/or are older than 35 are especially susceptible to these risks.
Possible side effects include
- Stomach cramps, mild nausea, vomiting, bloating
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
- Problems with contact lenses
Find us on Facebook
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Posted In: Birth Control NewsView Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »