Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Aviane, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Sronyx, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Aviane, Lessina, Levlen, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Trivora
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Portia, that contain the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Speak to a healthcare professional before using Portia as Emergency Contraception.
- To use Portia as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all indicated pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take four pink pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another four pink pills.
How it Works
Portia (ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel) utilizes a combination of the female hormones, estrogen and progestin, to prevent pregnancy in three ways. First, the hormones prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from one of the ovaries). Second, Portia causes the cervical mucus to thicken, which blocks sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Third, Portia prevents the uterine lining from thickening, which makes it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are to be utilized only as a form of birth control. The Pill does not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
Take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Use Portia exactly as your healthcare provider has instructed. Do not take more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
Missing a dose of Portia increases the risk of pregnancy. There are ways to make up for missing a pill that will maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. Contact your healthcare provider for more information if you have missed one or more pills.
Portia is successful at preventing pregnancy in over 99% of situations when it is the only birth control method utilized and when Portia is used exactly as directed.
Most birth control pills cost between $15 and $50 per month.
When used as specified, Portia is an effective method of birth control. All birth control pills, Portia included, have also been shown to have the following possible benefits:
- Menstrual cycle becomes more regular and blood flow is lightened (reducing the chances of anemia)
- Noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast occur with less frequency
- There is less likelihood of ectopic pregnancies
- There is less likelihood of acute pelvic inflammatory disease
- Cramps or other pain during menstruation are lessened or less frequent
All birth control pills, including Portia, can increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack. Women who smoke and/or are older than 35 are especially susceptible to these risks.
Possible side effects include
- Stomach cramps, mild nausea, vomiting, bloating
- Changes in menstrual period
- Decreased sex drive
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Problems with contact lenses
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Posted In: UncategorizedView Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »