Other Brand Names Containing the Same Estrogen and Progestin
Alesse, Aviane, Enpresse, Lessina, Levlen, Levlite, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Lessina, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil
Other Brands of Birth Control that Contain the Progestin Levonorgestrel
Emergency Contraceptives: Plan B, Plan B One Step, Next Choice
Monophasic: Alesse, Aviane, Lessina, Levlen, Levora, Lutera, Lybrel, Nordette, Portia, Sronyx
Multiphasic: Enpresse, Levlite, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil
Extended Cycle Pills: Jolessa, LoSeasonique, Quasense, Seasonale, Seasonique
Non-pill Methods: Mirena (IUD)
What Makes it Different
- All brands, including Trivora, that contain the progestin levonorgestrel have been FDA approved for use as an Emergency Contraceptive.
- Speak to a healthcare professional before using Trivora as Emergency Contraception.
- To use Trivora as an Emergency Contraceptive, take all pills no more than 120 hours (five days) after unprotected sex. It is most effective when taken within 72 hours (three days).
- Dosage for emergency contraception: take four pink pills and, exactly 12 hours later, take another four pink pills.
How it Works
Trivora (ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel) prevents pregnancy in three ways, utilizing a combination of the female hormones estrogen and progestin. Trivora hormones prevent the release of an egg from one of the ovaries (ovulation). The hormones also thicken the cervical mucus, inhibiting sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. Lastly, Trivora prevents the uterine lining from thickening, making it less hospitable to implantation.
Oral contraceptives are only to be utilized as a form of birth control and do not protect against the transmission of HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
How to Use
To begin, take your first pill on the first day of your period or the first Sunday after your period has begun. Take one pill at the same time each day until you reach the end of your pack. Use Trivora as your healthcare provider has instructed. Do not take it more often or for longer than your healthcare provider mandates.
Missing a dose of Trivora increases the risk of pregnancy. It is sometimes possible to make up for missing a pill and maintain the effectiveness of the birth control. For further instruction, contact your healthcare provider immediately upon realizing you’ve missed one or more pills.
Trivora has been shown to prevent pregnancy in over 99% of situations when it is the only birth control method utilized and when Trivora is used exactly as directed.
Most birth control pills cost $15-50 per pack. Each pack lasts one month.
Trivora is an effective method of birth control when used correctly. All birth control pills, Trivora included, have also been shown to have the following possible benefits:
- Menstrual cycle may be come more regular
- Menstrual blood flow may become lighter (reducing the chances of anemia)
- Cramps or other pain during menstruation may become less frequent and less intense
- Noncancerous cysts or lumps in the breast may be less common
- Ectopic pregnancies may occur with less frequency
- The chance of acute pelvic inflammatory disease may be lower
All birth control pills, including Trivora, can increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack, especially for women who smoke and/or are older than 35. Women who smoke should not use hormonal contraceptives.
Possible side effects include
- Changes in menstrual period, decreased sex drive
- Mild Nausea or vomiting
- Bloating, stomach cramps
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Headache, nervousness, dizziness or tired feeling
- Freckles or darkening of facial skin
- Increased hair growth or loss of scalp hair
- Breast pain, swelling or tenderness
- Problems with contact lenses
- Vaginal itching or discharge
News alerts & updates from BirthControlNews.org
Tuesday 8/09/2016View Blog »
For sexually active women, he effectiveness of birth control depends on how perfectly they use it. For this reason, there are two kinds of effectiveness rates. One measurement is for perfect use, as the method is tested in the lab or used in real life with no mistakes.
The other is typical use, the average including people who don’t always use the method correctly or every time sexual intercourse takes place.Get Answer »